Through our team of microbiological experts, bioinformaticians and hygiene specialists…
The cornerstones of our DNA based investigative technology are the SGS microID and MLST platforms.
Our range of tests includes: Microbiology analysis, Speciation and Authentication using DNA and NGS…
This package has been specially devised to meet the analytical and consultative needs…
Through our team of microbiological experts, bioinformaticians and hygiene specialists, SGS provides a market-leading consultation and advisory service to a wide range of retailers, producers and consultants – on a global basis. Unique DNA sequencing technology offers the most powerful tool for the rapid and precise identification of all bacteria, yeasts and moulds to sub species level.
Our Total Solution Program combine in-depth investigative DNA analysis with the capability to support on-site hygiene teams to implement recommendations and findings and to deliver resolution:
- Incident analysis
- Research projects and NPD
- Investigation e.g. supply chain screening
- Challenge testing protocol
- Legislation compliance
- Product authentication
- Labelling declarations
- Bespoke training programs
The cornerstones of our DNA based investigative technology are the SGS microID and MLST platforms. The extensive knowledge and expertise that SGS have developed and built around these platforms supports our position as the UK Market leader in Investigative Microbiology using bespoke DNA analysis.
SGS microID is an accredited microbial identification methodology using 16s or 28s rRNA gene sequencing. The sequence of DNA acts as a unique barcode identifier for each organism giving fast, accurate results. The SGS method of MLST (Multi Locus Sequence Typing) offers the most powerful and robust tool to track contaminants within the factory environment (both spatially and temporally).
Our expertise in interpreting and characterising the generated data allows the SGS team to resolve a very wide range of projects using ‘gold standard’ bio-informatics tools. Typically, the SGS microID methodology would be used in the identification of spoilage organisms, food-borne pathogens, sterility failures, product release screens, verification of sterile filling and the safety of high-risk manufacturing platforms.
In a deeper crisis where there is an incident of factory or product contamination there can often be a requirement to investigate to sub-species level. In these cases, SGS MLST technology is a powerful tool, which uses the comparison of short sequences of DNA to determine the relatedness of strains of the same species both in time and space. This method assists in the accurate pinpointing of the contamination source within a factory or a supply chain, specifically where there is the possibility of more than one source of contamination.
Our range of tests includes: Microbiology analysis, Speciation and Authentication using DNA and NGS, Food nutrition and chemistry, Allergen analysis.
- Speciation and Authentication using DNA and NGS
- NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) – all species in a sample
- Qualitative Speciation – DNA-based tests provide reliable analysis of raw, cooked and processed products for an increasing range of species by qualitative PCR to 0.1 % LOD.
- Bespoke Species ID (pure samples only) by Sequencing
- Bespoke Species ID (primer design)
Food nutrition and chemistry
Nutritional analysis for food labelling verification or new product development.
- Group 1 Analysis provides information on carbohydrate, fat, protein and energy.
- Group 2 Analysis provides full nutritional information
Through a strong network of UK and European SGS food testing laboratories we provide a comprehensive service for chemistry testing including heavy metals, vitamins, mycotoxins and pesticides.
A comprehensive range of accredited ELISA and PCR tests are available at the shortest standard lead time combined with unparalleled in-house technical expertise to verify results and assist customers with on-going changes to legislation and labelling demands.
This package has been specially devised to meet the analytical and consultative needs of most start-ups and includes:
- Technical brief (1 product): Nutritional analysis: Energy Values, Protein, Carbohydrate (of which sugars), Fat (of which saturates), Sodium, Dietary Fibre.
- Shelf life: Product stored as required.
Microbiological analysis is carried out at 5 time points. This enables confirmation of microbiological safety throughout shelf life.
- Intrinsic safety parameters: Water activity and pH. To assess a product’s ability to support the growth of food spoilage or pathogenic microorganisms.
- Telephone consultation (15 minutes): Discussion / consultation on technical aspects.
Bespoke packages are developed to meet specific individual requirements.