Public Sector SGS Renovo Ghana
Ensure compliant e-waste management with SGS Renovo™ – a program authorised by the Government for the control, management and disposal of electrical and electronic waste, and tires in Ghana.
Every year, tons of e-waste are disposed worldwide, and the increasing volume and complexity of e-waste material associated with the modern economy poses serious environmental health risks.
To help you tackle the issue of e-waste, we have developed SGS Renovo Ghana, a self-funded, turnkey solution to support and finance an e-waste management system at national level.
We have been designated by the Government to collect advance eco levy on all electrical equipment (EEE) and tires specified in Act 917 on behalf of the Republic of Ghana. We are also authorised to carry out physical inspection and verification at the export country of EEE and tires declared as used.
Why choose the SGS Renovo Ghana program?
Our three-module e-waste management solution offers you:
- Physical inspections: at the country of origin to ensure that EEE declared as used are not e-waste, and that no e-waste enters the country of destination without its consent (in accordance with the Basel Convention)
- Collection of the eco-levy: on all imported EEE and tires subject to Act 917, transferring funds to the government of the destination country to ensure there is a revenue stream to finance the recycling facility
- Assistance with e-waste management infrastructure development: in the country of destination, which will reduce environmental health risks and generate direct and indirect jobs
SGS Renovo will help to ensure that used EEE and tires shipped to Ghana are not waste. All EEE and tires exported to Ghana and specified in Act 917 will have to be registered on the SGS Exporter Portal.
This will enable exporters to:
- Create an e-environmental declaration form: listing all the goods to be supplied under a specific consignment
- Comply with the Government regulation: regarding the payment of the eco-levy
You can register products, pay the eco-levy and get a receipt of certificates on the SGS Exporter Portal platform
SGS Renovo program – authorised by the Government of Ghana
As the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company, we offer the resources, experience and infrastructure to perform tasks that are vital to effective waste management.
The implementation of SGS Renovo emphasises the commitment of the Government of Ghana to:
- Tackle the issue of transboundary movement of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)
- Reduce the risks associated with end-of-life (EoL) products affecting the soil, groundwater and food chain
- Contribute to the global effort to reduce the adverse effect of e-waste, in line with Ghana’s international commitment to the protection of the environment during the COP21
The Government of Ghana is acting through the Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation (MESTI) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It will ensure confirmation by the Customs of Ghana of the eco levy payment for all products subject to the SGS Renovo program. This will be done prior to the release of the products from customs control.
To find out more about our SGS Renovo Ghana e-waste management solution, contact us today.
Submit an order through our Exporter Portal. Register an e-environmental declaration.