SGS Certifies London Crossrail Trains
SGS, acting as a Notified and Designated Body, has certified that London’s new Crossrail trains are designed and built in compliance with the applicable technical requirements of EU and UK rail legislation. The trains are being produced by Bombardier, at facilities in Derby. Experts at our offices in Aston, near Birmingham, issued Bombardier with 12 certificates covering the design and manufacture of the new trains.
The state-of-the-art trains are equipped with:
- Air conditioning
- Walk-through carriages
- Dedicated wheelchair spaces and additional multi-use spaces for buggies and luggage
- Intelligent lighting and temperature control
- CCTV for passenger security
- Three sets of double doors along each carriage for quicker and easier boarding and alighting
- Improved travel information to help passengers plan their onward journeys
- Lightweight materials and regenerative braking that require up to 30 per cent less energy than used by older trains
The trains came into service in June 2017 and are now running between Liverpool Street and Shenfield on the Transport for London rail route. They are scheduled to run along the new Elizabeth line in December 2017, when new rail tunnels open in central London. When fully open in 2019, the Elizabeth line will increase central London's rail capacity by 10 percent, carrying more than half a million passengers every day.
The Aston office has provided similar certification services for Bombardier’s Class 172 Turbostar train, which was also built at the Derby facility.
For further information, please contact:
Rail Operations Manager
t: +44 7712 785718
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognised as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.