Consumer Goods and Retail Explosive Atmosphere Services
Ensure explosive atmosphere safety with IECEx and ATEX certification from SGS, the world’s leading, internationally recognised, certification body for explosion protected equipment and facilities.
Explosive Atmosphere Services from SGS
- ATEX product certification – meet legal requirements for products used in explosive atmospheres in Europe. Equipment manufacturers that produce Ex equipment and placed it on the European market must always declare compliance with the ATEX Directive (2014/34/EU, previously ATEX 94/9/EC)). Manufacturers often require third party certification from an ATEX Notified Body such as SGS Baseefa in order to meet their obligations.
- IECEx product certification – sell your products around the world. IECEx Certification is a scheme that is voluntary in most parts of the world but which can be used to help prove compliance with local requirements. In most instances IECEx Certification is requested at the same time as ATEX certification as this allows the manufacturer to complete them as one efficient project.
- IECEx service facility certification – ensure the correct repair and maintenance of your hazardous area equipment.
- IECEx personnel competence certification – for those working in the explosive atmosphere industry as plant designers, installers, maintenance operatives and inspectors. Competence is a pre-requisite for people working in this industry, and people are one of the major contributors to incidents in hazardous areas. Qualifying your competence via a third party such as SGS can be valuable to both the employer and employee in the hazardous area industry.
- Inspections and risk assessments – meet relevant safety legislation. The UK Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (DSEAR) are concerned with protection against risks such as fire and explosions arising from the use of dangerous substances in the workplace. The legal framework in Europe is ATEX based, however the same international standards are applicable anywhere in the world, sometimes with minor adaptations for local requirements.
- Training – equip employees and contractors with the knowledge and skills to design equipment or operate safely in the industry. An in-depth understanding of subjects such as DSEAR, the ATEX Directives, and Protection methods benefits both the individual and their organisation to be safer, better equipped and more productive. Competence is an important part of ensuring safety in the hazardous area industry, and our training is designed to provide a valuable contribution to this.
- North America – testing, assessment and certification for Class and Division, and Class and Zone applications for the US and Canadian Hazloc market. Certification can be for the United States (SGSus), Canada (SGSc), or quite commonly for both (cSGSus). There are often ordinary location standards to meet in addition to the hazardous location standards in order for the equipment to be accepted into this market. SGS Baseefa is recognised for both.
- Requirements for other regions – including China, Korea, Russia and Eurasian Customs Union, Brazil and South Africa. Obtaining the relevant marks can be made more simple and quick by pursing them as a subsequent project to your ATEX/IECEx certification. We can guide you through the process and facilitate on your behalf.
Why Choose SGS?
With more than 300 years industry experience within SGS, we believe that customers value direct access to the engineers who will be working with them and we encourage contact by email, telephone or face-to-face meetings.
Making expert knowledge available to all our customers is a priority for us. We are happy to offer advice as part of our technical advice service in conjunction with certification work, or through selected modules contained in training programmes.
Contact us today to find out more about our range of explosive atmosphere services.