SGS 2016 Sustainability Report
SGS today publishes its eighth annual Sustainability Report. This online report is aligned to the Global Reporting Initiative’s G4 reporting framework at ‘Comprehensive’ level, and it provides a detailed account of our sustainability approach.
Alongside this report, we are moving closer to integrated reporting with the inclusion of substantive detail on our sustainability performance in the SGS Annual Report 2016.
During 2016, we evolved our sustainability strategy to deliver transformational change linked to our Sustainability Ambitions 2020. Highlights included:
- External recognition as Industry Leader, Gold Class distinction in the 2016 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for both Europe and World regions, for the third consecutive year
- Further external acknowledgement with SGS named by the Carbon Disclosure Project as Industrials Sector Leader and Country Leader in the Germany, Austria and Switzerland region
- The launch of the SGS Human Rights Policy and SGS Supplier Code of Conduct
- Implementation of our Vehicle Emission Policy across the organisation
- The development of our first Business Materiality Matrix, which combines the outputs of our materiality and business risk assessment processes
- A 29% reduction in lost time incident reporting and an 18% reduction in our total recordable injuries rate
- An increase of 2.65% of women in leadership positions from 2015, reaching 26.31%
- A decrease of 8.1% of absolute CO2 emissions
- Greenhouse gas intensity decreasing 13.3% as a proportion of revenue and 11.7% as a proportion of headcount
- Retaining our carbon neutral status through guarantees of origin and compensation mechanisms
- 356 community projects across our organisation, representing an increase of 60% compared to 2015
- Investment in community increasing by 13.5% (including volunteering hours) to CHF 1,177,000
Frankie Ng, CEO of SGS, comments: “SGS continues to make substantial progress in its sustainability performance, linked in particular to occupational health and safety, carbon emissions reductions, equal opportunities and community investment. I’m confident that our Sustainability Ambitions 2020 will enable SGS to deliver transformational change on a global scale.”
For further information, please contact:
Corporate Sustainability Team
t: (+41-22) 739 91 11
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.